Page 1 of 2
Dalore
rank 10
Posted:
Tue Jul 17, 2007 11:35 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: PAL
After waiting nearly 3 weeks, my new Black NTSC Dreamcast has arrived! Smile ! So After nearly a year away I am now a proud DC owner again. I've got a good selection of games for it including :

Quake 3
Starlancer
Maximum Pool
PSO v1 (PAL)
PSO v2 (PAL)
Shenmue (PAL)

Also I was wondering if any1 out there could offer some advice. My PAL copies of PSO v1&2 work fine when I use the Utopia boot disk, but Shenmue freezes 95% of the way through loading, has this happening to any1 else, does any1 have any suggestions?

By the way all my games are originals, so the boot disk is the only way I can play, so I hope it is ok to discuss it here.

gary_b
rank 37
Posted:
Tue Jul 17, 2007 7:46 pm
quote : #2
Type: NTSC-U/C
im unsure about pal games but for my US copys i use DChakker it lets me skip the first part of the loading process. i use it for games that are not vga ready. but it should let you load your pal games on the NTSC system. also it will work on a vga box this is a pluss for when and if you get one. utopia does not work on a vga box.

if you get dc hakker to make it load the gd roms is a bit tricky. you load hakker then swap in the gd rom your wanting to play then select rescan. it will then open the data on the gd rom. then you select the file called 1st_read. bin.

but to load it from the 1st_read. bin you have to high light it by hiting A. then hit the Y buton then hit the A buton . if it dosnt load the first time repete making sure that you hit Y befor A every time you try.

i know you said you have all gd roms so this should work. i do not know if this works on back ups anyway. all my games are GD roms
Posted:
Wed Jul 18, 2007 4:31 am
quote : #3
Nice setup Smile --- is it a black sports dc?
Posted:
Wed Jul 18, 2007 4:47 am
quote : #4
Yep, I had no idea until recentley DC's were available in black and other colours (we only got the cream here in the UK). So when I started looking for a new DC I decided to get a NTSC console. It just made sense so I could play Quake and Starlancer etc...

The black really looks slick.

By the way thanks for the help, I managed to get Shenmue working! Smile

mrandyk
rank 19
Posted:
Wed Jul 18, 2007 8:19 am
quote : #5
Wow I have a black sega sports dreamcast and am really mad I couldnt get the grey one. I had no idea that peoplee favored the black one over the grey one.

To me the sega sports logo right under the orange swirl just ruins it for me. I dont know why.
Dalore
rank 10
Posted:
Wed Jul 18, 2007 8:28 am
quote : #6
I know what you mean, it does kind of stand out, but soo many grey consoles discolour or go yellow so I thought the Sports Black would look the best.

gRimGrAvY014
rank 27
Posted:
Wed Jul 18, 2007 10:16 am
quote : #7
I have a black dreamcast as well. I really like the black over the original color.

You have a nice selection of online games there. We should play some Quake sometime.

Dalore
rank 10
Posted:
Wed Jul 18, 2007 12:15 pm
quote : #8
Nice one, I will be online after I move next month, as I only have BB at the moment. It will give me a little time to practice at Quake Smile

gary_b
rank 37
Posted:
Wed Jul 18, 2007 2:09 pm
quote : #9
mrandyk wrote:
Wow I have a black sega sports dreamcast and am really mad I couldnt get the grey one. I had no idea that peoplee favored the black one over the grey one.

To me the sega sports logo right under the orange swirl just ruins it for me. I dont know why.
lol i wish i had the black one. in the lil mom and pop store by my house the old man had a black one set up for ppl to try games out on. then some thing hapend to it so he started using a grey one. but he says the black one worked beter idk if it makes any dif cuz the grey im using is pretty good but another grey i have kinda sucks. but the black are harder to find. even harder are the hello kitty ones i think they may be found in JP only.
Posted:
Wed Jul 18, 2007 5:17 pm
quote : #10
I would switch to my grey dreamcast if it wasnt for the fact that pso characters are tied to the system. I do have to say though my black one does run a little better and smoother, but a lot louder Id say. Like my black one no problems with backups and my grey one sometimes has problems (it is a Dec 1999 model), and my black one seems to take less time loading Confused
grubensau
rank 40
Posted:
Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:27 am
quote : #11
@Mrandyk -- you can search for a black topcase only - I found them on ebay for around 20,- $. This one will turn ur black sports dc in a black limited dc Smile
Posted:
Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:37 am
quote : #12
grubensau wrote:
@Mrandyk -- you can search for a black topcase only - I found them on ebay for around 20,- $. This one will turn ur black sports dc in a black limited dc Smile

For that kind of money I would be tempted to try painting over the sega sports part. I see those Home Depot commercials where you can bring any color into the store and they will match it, maybe I could try that.
Dalore
rank 10
Posted:
Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:15 pm
quote : #13
Hey Grub, where you see those case's, i cant find one anywhere.

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Thu Jul 19, 2007 2:04 pm
quote : #14
I don't think they sell real pitch black replacement cases. They do sell smoke gray replacement cases.
Posted:
Fri Jul 20, 2007 6:47 am
quote : #15
Yeah no worries, I think my DC looks great the way it is with the logo. Cheers though!