Page 1 of 2
isafos
rank 8
Posted:
Wed Dec 19, 2007 5:41 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: PAL
This goes out to anyone who's played the unreleased 'Half Life' for Dreamcast.
I've heard that it lags badly, has long loading times and looked much worse then the PC version. Is there any validity to this?

Also, what games are included in it? I was lead to believe that it includes Half Life and the expansion with Barney.

Thanks guys.
Gryzor
rank 7
Posted:
Wed Dec 19, 2007 6:38 am
quote : #2
This is really coincidental, as I just finished playing it this morning. As far as the game is concerned, it is a very good game. It has pretty top-notch graphics, an engaging plotline and solid control scheme, even if you've just picked it up for the first time.

The version you download it an unfinished version. Obviously, all the levels and content are all in, but it hasn't been optimized properly, and so going from area to area produces long load times (but no longer than 6 or 7 seconds) and it does have a pretty occasional slow-frame rate, but nothing too controversial, and the game is fully playable.

It contains a single-player campaign with the main Half-Life game (from the PC version) and a planned-to-be exclusive expansion pack "Blue Shift". With the Dreamcast game being scrapped, you can now download this pack for the PC version.

For a free download, this is well worth it.

gary_b
rank 37
Posted:
Wed Dec 19, 2007 12:02 pm
quote : #3
Type: NTSC-U/C
the game does have some slow down in frame rates. but nothing to bad. after all its free. the load times arnt as bad as some other games mainly solder of fortune. the graphics pretty nice. but i never played the PC version so i cant coment on if its as nice as the PCs
Posted:
Wed Dec 19, 2007 2:26 pm
quote : #4
Thanks a ton guys. I'm really looking forward to playing this now, just got to wait until my download cap resets. Wink
nick944
rank 13
Posted:
Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:25 pm
quote : #5
I don't really see any lag in the game, the grafics are good, but the load times are pretty long...
Posted:
Wed Dec 19, 2007 5:23 pm
quote : #6
Too bad it didn't contain multiplayer Sad

mcmonkey
rank 44
Posted:
Wed Dec 19, 2007 5:26 pm
quote : #7
nick944 wrote:
I don't really see any lag in the game, the grafics are good, but the load times are pretty long...

I never really had a problem with the loading times. I think people have a tendency to over exaggerate. They were pretty much on par with what I was used to for most PC fps's.

But, time is relative. Wink
rank 8
Posted:
Wed Dec 19, 2007 5:31 pm
quote : #8
Well i'e not played it so much, i'm not into FPS, here are some screenshots comparing the PC and the DC versions (found them on the web...NOt sure this will help to compare....

isafos
rank 8
Posted:
Wed Dec 19, 2007 7:04 pm
quote : #9
It seems that the character models are better in the DC version. That's interesting.
Einhander
rank 20
Posted:
Wed Dec 19, 2007 9:42 pm
quote : #10
When HL for the DC was being developed, they updated all of the character models and weapons from the original PC ones. They also changed the pistol and machine gun to different models. When Blue Shift was made available for the PC (originally intending to be a DC exclusive) they included modified versions of the DC models in a "High Resolution Pack" that you could install. The PC HD Pack also updated the First Aid and HEV Charging stations if I remember correctly.

When the PS2 port was built, the models were upgraded even further.

The differences between character models are pretty huge:

Modders have ported the PS2 models to the PC version of Half-Life, and they're also able to load the original low-poly models from the original PC release in the DC version of HL to up the framerate. The DC models are pretty low end compared to the PS2 port, but are considerably better than the PC original, and some of them actually surpass the PC HD Pack models.

Also, on a side note, the DC version doesn't have a separate Hazard Course for Blue Shift like the PC version does. It's essentially the same, except Barney doesn't get the Long Jump module or use HEV charging stations because he doesn't wear an HEV suit.

kingofgrills
rank 33
Posted:
Sun Dec 23, 2007 10:27 am
quote : #11
Einhander, good job sorting that out. I have Half Life on both the DC and PS2, and there's only a couple of points I'd add when comparing the two. Although the PS2 version has beefed up character models there is no anti-aliasing, so I think the visuals looks better on DC. Also the load times on both versions are nearly identical (long).

One thing that remains exclusive on the PS2 version is Half-Life:Decay, which is a co-op game. It allows you to play as two female scientists instead of Gordon Freeman. Unfortunately, I've forgotten their names though.

How are my little crackers doing today?
Einhander
rank 20
Posted:
Mon Dec 24, 2007 6:31 pm
quote : #12
Gina Cross and Collete Green. Decay is awesome, it's one of the most fun co-op games I've ever played. It doesn't support LAN, so you're stuck with sploit screen, but you can play it single player and press (I think) Select to switch between characters. The character you're not playing as doesn't move, though, so it can get tough during certain points in the game since they won't even dodge attacks.

I don't remember how the game handles pickups in co-op, i think some of the major things (like weapons) have the "Serious Sam" setup, where there are two right next to each other, and each player can only take one, but I can't be sure.

Decay is being ported to the PC version of Half-Life, and then after that the team intends on porting it to HL:Source, but I don't know if it will have any features over the PS2 version. If the DC would have had the HL multiplayer disc that was planned later on, I wonder if there would have been any co-op mods included?

In terms of the visual difference between the two, I still think that the models on the PS2 version look a little better, but the DC's textures have it beat. Fullscreen AA and 8MB of VRAM make the game seriously shine in certain areas.

My only issue with DC HL is my copy will crash when I get to Office Complex (I think that's the name of the chapter, where you take the elevator up). It'll display a weird error message in the console.

shrap
rank 10
Posted:
Mon Dec 24, 2007 8:06 pm
quote : #13
the decay coop in the ps2 version is awsome they had some areas split so that the two characters could approach rooms from opposite sides and catch the enemies in crossfire which was awsome. now about the dc version does it come with blue shift. also are the controls completley customizable for the dc controller. i'm wondering this because i want to get it and it would be cool if i could use my modded controller with it.
Posted:
Mon Dec 24, 2007 9:00 pm
quote : #14
Yes, it includes Blue shift, and there is full customization, so you should be able to use your hacked gear.
shrap
rank 10
Posted:
Tue Dec 25, 2007 1:59 pm
quote : #15
coo now i can't wait for the next special ocassion to get it. hello feast of maximum occupancy. Laughing