Page Location: Home > General Online > Topic
1, 2  Next
neootaku
rank 3
Posted:
Fri Jan 02, 2004 5:56 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
I found this site off of GameFAQs and it has a lot (not all) of the Shenmue Passport VMU Downloads. Scince the passport was shut down in April 03 these are really hard to find. I commend the creator of this website for backing these up before it was too late.

http://www.angelfire.com/rpg/krbrunn/shenmue/index.html
Posted:
Fri Jan 02, 2004 6:04 pm
quote : #2
cool im going to download them all
thanxz bro
Posted:
Fri Jan 02, 2004 6:07 pm
quote : #3
Just trying to spread the word.
Posted:
Fri Jan 02, 2004 6:13 pm
quote : #4
Type: NTSC-U/C
Can anyone verify which of this was original intended game download content. if any? I don't own shenmue and I have played it breifly so my experience with the game is limited.
Posted:
Fri Jan 02, 2004 6:32 pm
quote : #5
all the things there were downloadable content from the game except the game save and vmu icon. hope this helps
Posted:
Fri Jan 02, 2004 6:32 pm
quote : #6
The game Shenmue contained 4 CDs. 3 of which was the actual game. The 4th is called the Senmue Passport. Offline this passport replayed Cinmematics in the game, explained special functions, and replayed all the music that you heard while playing. Then you had an option to connect to the Senmue Passport which was a little online server full of little quicks in the game like in game stats, advice, and other things. However the main reason to connect is the Shenmue Goodies. In the game you buy pop from the vending machines. On a rare occasion the can will be Gold and will say Winner, and Ryo will say "Yeah I won!" you can either take the can to a store to get a drawing out of a raffle, or you can connect to the passport to Download cute little animations for the VMU at 1 can per animation. In total there was about 400 animations. Since the passport shut down in april 2004, the Downloads were gone. However a group of people at GameFAQ's got togther and tried to save what they could(Check Shenmue Message Board, its the largest post). Kurb (the website creator) backed up as many animations as he could before the passport died. In total, his site has 184 animations. If you need proof, the Shenmue stratedgy guide has a section decicated to Shenmue Goodies.
Posted:
Fri Jan 02, 2004 7:39 pm
quote : #7
u pretty much summed it up
Posted:
Fri Jan 02, 2004 7:52 pm
quote : #8
I have no life. LOL
Posted:
Fri Jan 02, 2004 9:51 pm
quote : #9
lol, thanks for the link got the game a few weeks ago and wanted to get some of those downloads

OrochiSonic
rank 8
Posted:
Sat Jan 03, 2004 9:02 am
quote : #10
cool, but I thought you could also get special toy capsules with the passport of like animals?
Posted:
Sat Jan 03, 2004 11:01 am
quote : #11
I have looked into this and I recieved this infomation from IGN.

Free Market

Here you can trade various hard to find objects such as mini-pools and mini-slot machines for animal characters in the game. You can add these to your character list and check them out in the profiles section of the Shenmue World.

I also got this infomation from Olly Dean's FAQ.

EVERYONE'S SPACE
----------------
This is one of the more interesting aspects of the Shenmue Passport. As well as
weather reports that you can get in the game proper by using the telephone, you
can get stats on your kitten's growth. In the game when you go to a vending
machine and buy a can of drink there is a chance (the odds are about 1 in 5, I
think) that you may get a special can. If you do, you can do one of two things
with it. You can either take it to a convienience store to get a free go on the
prize draw or you can use them in the Shenmue Goodies section in exchange for
characters on your VMU. You must first download the Shenmue Goodies program onto
your VMU (50 blocks), then every character's data that you get will take up an
additional 2 blocks. The Free Market lets you trade the toys from toy capsule
machines for ones you need and ones that can only be traded for here. Finally the
What's New section gives you information on all the latest news and services.

Can anyone get to the "Free Market" section of the passport or is that down as well?
Posted:
Sat Jan 03, 2004 3:28 pm
quote : #12
That is down too, making it impossible to get those special capsule toys. There is really no way to recreate that aspect of the game to my knowledge. It's too bad the passport was shutdown. I had the game for four months before it was taken offline, and it was a great addition to the game. You could also send high scores from the minigames (darts, Space Harrier, Hang-On, etc.) and rank yourself against others. All the online features of the passport are now gone I believe.
Posted:
Sat Jan 03, 2004 10:33 pm
quote : #13
Quoted from the Shenmue Passport post at GFQs, the below have been verified by the original poster (and myself) to work:

In short, you can still:
-Review your data in detail
-Download VMU characters
-Check the weather
-Trade items
-View the kitten's stats
-View each person's physical stats (but not his or her bio)

Here's the long version of what it let me do in the past few minutes:

Urgent Messages: Brings up a message that says, "The required data cannot be retrieved at this time. Please try again."

Data Review: Works perfectly fine! As huge and detailed as ever!

Online Manual: I could view the topics, but I could not view their data. It either kept "Loading" or it kept giving me that required data message.

Everyone's Space: It allowed me to download VMU characters, trade items, and view the weather. It also displayed the kitten info. "What's New!" is still under construction, but hasn't it always been like that? ^-^;

shenmue.com: This doesn't load for me at all. I get the permanent "Loading" screen again. ;.;

Network Ranking: As expected, no dice here. I got as far as selecting a game, but then, the usual "Loading" image. For "Best Scores" on the game selection screen it listed all the ones I had on my save.

Nozomi's Messages: "The required data cannot be retrieved at this time. Please try again."

Shenmue World: Places is mostly useless. You can select a place but it won't load. For People, I could select people and see their name and stats (height, weight, gender, etc.). However, it wouldn't load the actual bio. For the All Moves Scroll, I could select moves, but again, they wouldn't load.

Hope that helps, nikon. Maybe make a news item of this? Being about the venerable Shenmue and all...
Posted:
Sat Jan 03, 2004 10:49 pm
quote : #14
Yep all of that is true all the same things happened to me when I did it like a month or so ago. Sega is so cheap they even took down on of there biggest selling games in-game site, sad

idrepublix
banned!
Posted:
Sun Jan 04, 2004 12:56 am
quote : #15
Have some respect, SEGA may have taken a few sites down but don't just blindly ignore the fact it suported the DC and DC online gaming far beyond expectations and far more than any game company ever would. With every other company, once a console is abandoned, its DEAD the same moment. Not with Sega, and not with the DC.

The DreKore re-releases, Puyo Puyo Fever and the fact that SEGA is the publisher for Border Down, Psyviar 2 and even COS II says more than enough about their going above and beyond expectations with the DC support ------- EVEN while the company is being literally raped by Sammy the Satan.