Page Location: Home > Dreamcast Lounge > Topic
Ragensi
rank 3
Posted:
Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:00 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
Other than the fact that most Dreamcast aficionados (myself included) are a touch insane?

God bless em , I love these kinds of games but having to decide between buying Boarder Down and being a $100+ short on rent is a painful reality check Sad

Kbuzz
rank 23
Posted:
Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:34 am
quote : #2
supply and demand bro
rank 87
Posted:
Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:07 am
quote : #3
Reasons why Dreamcast shooters are expensive (expanding off of kingbuzzo's post):

1.) Low Production Runs (Rarity) - Most of the recent shooters released on the Dreamcast were printed in quantities of 6-20 thousand each depending on the game or Limited Editions. This is a very very low production run.

2.) Demand - Shooters are in high demand not just by Dreamcast fans, but fans of shooters. The games are timeless because of the graphical artistry, music, and gameplay. Scrolling Shooters are seen from a birds eye view, so all of the ships, enemies, and environments are miniature. Which means the developers have free reign to make it as detailed or minimalistic as they wish. Shooters are well known for having some of the best OST's in gaming. Finally, the replay value for shooters is through the roof. Very few players master a shooter to the point where they simply cannot get any better. There is always room for hi-score improvement.

---

If you are in a position where spending money on a game like Border Down means you will put financial pressure on you for rent, then I would almost say you shouldn't bother. More often than not, if you are right up against it financially all of the time, owning expensive video games means at any given moment they will be thrown back up on ebay. I have seen it time and time again where people right on the fringe with their finances buy, sell, and rebuy all of their viideo games over and over.

Whether you purchase Border Down, or any of the otehr expensive DC shooters, should be decided based on your ability to hold onto and not sell the game when times get tough. Making a financial budget usually solves this. I would set money aside you can spare over time, rather than forcing a situation where you can't pay your rent.

There are still some shooters you can buy if you are low on cash. Giga Wing and Gunbird 2 can be picked up for around 15-20 dollars. Also if you are lucky you can snatch up Bangai-O for around 25-30.
Posted:
Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:26 am
quote : #4
Nikon wrote down all the reasons -

anyway own a ''rare'' thing (not only a game) and youre something special.... I dont know how many borderdown owners realy played the game. But I guess alot of ppl bought only 2 make some money later by knowing evry dreamcast game brought 2 us after the end of the machine - ll get a big resale profit. I sold mine - caue Im not a die hard fans of such games - and the dude who bought is selling it now for 20,- EUR more on ebay.

This is simple a buisness - and doesnt mean borderdown is worse the prize ....
Posted:
Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:40 am
quote : #5
Thanks for the replies. I kind of expected those answers ^_^*

@LordNikon

The rent comment was a little more "tongue in cheek" though. I agree with you 100% on the situation of buying , selling , re buying items like that on ebay. I have seen that happen to a friend or two and its a real shame. Dreamcast is , at times , an expensive gaming hobby.

Thanks for the recommendations. I have all save for Gunbird 2 and thanks to Chaos Field and Ikaruga being released on the Gamecube I didn't have to bother importing them to DC. *whew*

As for expensive titles , which are the "must haves"? How are Karous and Radirgy?

Blast
rank 43
Posted:
Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:33 am
quote : #6
Type: Pal
So why dont they just print more games or reprint games later and make more money whilst providing the consumer with a cheaper product?

Laters
Posted:
Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:30 pm
quote : #7
I think at 100$ ikaruga is worth it and I think for a few others it's worth it too.
lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:04 pm
quote : #8
Blast wrote:
So why dont they just print more games or reprint games later and make more money whilst providing the consumer with a cheaper product?

There are usually publishers involved. Publishing a game requires a lot of money to press the discs, package them, and distribute them to retailers. Developers always ally themselves with a publisher who has the bankroll to get this done. The publisher gets a cut of the profits, and the developers get their cut. The companies involved crunch the numbers to find out exactly how many games they can sell, and pull a profit. Pressing more games, means more money.

I think so far they pressed up just enough copies of each game to satisfy those who wanted it. For those who are always looking for a bargain still would not buy these games on day 1 for $30.00. Most people with tight budgets who are extremly frugal, will hold out for as long as they can for the cheapest price possible. If it were released for 30.00, they would still wait for a sale to see if they could get it for 25.90 or 20.90.

---

If anyone really wants to buy Dreamcast shooters, they need to be able to live with them sitting in their home. Because at the end of the day, they are a small goldmine just waiting to be sold back when finances get tight.

A total of 17 different shooters were released on the Dreamcast. To buy all of these you will need roughly 800-1,200 dollars, depending on whether you want to buy Limited Edition versions.

If you really really want any given shooter, you need to save your money and then do as much research as you possibly can to locate a good deal. Then just pull the trigger and buy the game.

So far, my JPN DC shooter collection, which includes numerous Limited Editions, has cost me well over $1,100 USD.
Posted:
Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:18 am
quote : #9
not too shabby on the DC shooter collection Nikon. Btw have you posted a pic of your DC shooters?
lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Tue Sep 09, 2008 2:06 am
quote : #10
There is a picture deep in the forums of my collection, though it is outdated. I need to line them all up and take a new pic.

Basically I own every North American and Japanese shmup, except for the Japanese versions of Gunbird 2, Mars Matrix, and Giga Wing 2. I saved these for last since I already own the US ones.

My advice to those looking to get DC shooters, invest in the shooters of your native region first. They will be the cheapest and you can actually hunt for decent deal. Then, after you have acquired those and played them a bit, you will be more motivated to add other shooters to your collection.

For those interested, here is a complete list of every shmup that exists on the Dreamcast:

JAPAN:

• Bakuretumuteki Bangaioh
  • Border Down
  • Border Down (Limited Edition)
  • Chaos Field
  • Giga Wing (Demo)
  • Giga Wing
  • Giga Wing 2
  • Karous
  • Ikaruga
  • Mars Matrix
  • Psyvariar 2: The Will to Fabricate
  • Radirgy
  • Shikigami No Shiro 2
  • Shikigami No Shiro 2 (Limited Edition)
  • Trigger Heart Exelica
  • Trigger Heart Exelica (Limited Edition)
  • Trizeal
  • Twinkle Star Sprites
  • Under Defeat
  • Under Defeat (Limited Edition)
  • Zero Gunner 2

North America:

• Bangai-O
  • Giga Wing
  • Giga Wing 2
  • GunBird 2
  • Mars Matrix

PAL Regions:

• Bangai-O
  • Giga Wing
  • GunBird 2

* Note: This list contains discs that are devoted to a single game. There are other games that have shmup bonus stages such as Kita e. White Illumination and Segagaga.