Page Location: Home > Dreamcast Lounge > Topic
lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Sun Oct 26, 2008 5:14 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
I have been playing the US release of Namco Museum quite a bit lately. Then it dawned on me that the Dreamcast had no classic arcade compilations in Japan. This is really wierd, but I guess there were so many real arcade games such as fighters and shooters on the system already, there wasn't really a need for them. These days Street Fighter 2 goes into game compilations. On the Dreamcast it was a standalone release as Super Street Fighter 2X.

Also most of the compilations in the US were directly marketing at the US audience. Atari Anthology, both Midway Collections, and then Namco Museum.

Just an interesting insight into the DC's JPN library I was thinking about.
Posted:
Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:02 pm
quote : #2
The first Sega Ages releases for Saturn were published two or three years after the system's launch, but translated to the situation with Dreamcast would mean that that's been when Dreamcast was already canceled.

DreamLibrary allowed you to download PCEngine and Mega Drive / Genesis games via Dream Passport 3. Again this came too late in the Dreamcast's life span to really take off. The MD/G emulator in DreamLibrary became the core of the Sega Smash Pack Vol. 1 in the US.

Super Street Fighter 2 X and co. were low price releases of arcade ports with online capabilities. SSF2X for MS also was a real update to the original SSF2X arcade game with bug fixes and loads of options, but still the original arcade version at heart. SSF2 HD is based on this version.

Vampire Chronicle is a good example of an arcade collection for Dreamcast as it contains all Darkstalkers arcade games rolled into one.
Posted:
Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:26 pm
quote : #3
Christuserloeser wrote:
The first Sega Ages releases for Saturn were published two or three years after the system's launch, but translated to the situation with Dreamcast would mean that that's been when Dreamcast was already canceled.

DreamLibrary allowed you to download PCEngine and Mega Drive / Genesis games via Dream Passport 3. Again this came too late in the Dreamcast's life span to really take off. The MD/G emulator in DreamLibrary became the core of the Sega Smash Pack Vol. 1 in the US.

Yea I bet they decided to focus their efforts on trying to make Dream Library a success, instead of releasing classic games on a disc. Then after Dream Library was taken down, it was sort of too late for pursuing a route with the Sega Ages brand on the Dreamcast.

Also now that I think about it, the Yu Suzuki GameWorks disc probobly qualifies as the lone JPN import classic compilation hehe. Yea the games would be in Shenmue also, but thats having them piggybacked in another release. Where as the GameWorks disc is more focused on presenting those arcade games in a standalone format.

Christuserloeser wrote:
Super Street Fighter 2 X and co. were low price releases of arcade ports with online capabilities. SSF2X for MS also was a real update to the original SSF2X arcade game with bug fixes and loads of options, but still the original arcade version at heart. SSF2 HD is based on this version.

Vampire Chronicle is a good example of an arcade collection for Dreamcast as it contains all Darkstalkers arcade games rolled into one.

This is sort of gray area, but I don't necessarily consider these to be arcade compilations in the same veign as Midway Arcade Classics or Namco Museum. SSF2X and Vampire Chronicle both featured games that could have had sprites remove had they been released on previous systems. Basically the Dreamcast versions were the first situation where these games could be released without compromises.
Posted:
Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:33 pm
quote : #4
DreamPassport 3 with DreamLibrary was released in late 2000, and in January 2001 Dreamcast all of a sudden got discontinued as we know. Not much time to actually use it for something.

lordnikon wrote:
Also now that I think about it, the Yu Suzuki GameWorks disc probobly qualifies as the lone JPN import classic compilation hehe. Yea the games would be in Shenmue also, but thats having them piggybacked in another release. Where as the GameWorks disc is more focused on presenting those arcade games in a standalone format.

Yeah, good one. That's as close as it gets to a Japanese arcade collection on Dreamcast.
Posted:
Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:40 am
quote : #5
Also, here is another crucial viewpoint to bring up. Back during the Dreamcast era it was more about innovation and creativity. I think had the Dreamcast lasted another year or two you wouldn't see a strict Sega Ages series lineup per-say, but rather a full revival of these franchises. New installments in Outrun, After Burner, and Space Harrier would have found their way to the Dreamcast. This is already evident with Planet Harriers on the HIKARU board which I still think would have found its way to the DC eventually (god I want that game so bad).

Plus, lets look at third parties. Capcom was a huge supporter of the Dreamcast. They could have easily released a "1942,43,XX" shooting compilation on the DC. However I think they would be more inclined to put out a standalone release of just 19XX. They were releasing standalone releases of games like Giga Wing, Giga Wing 2, and Mars Matrixl; in addition to things like SSFIIX. I think it was important at the time to put these games up on pedastal as their own individual releases.

So I think the climate at the time of the Dreamcast sort of discouraged the idea of classic compilations in favor of stand alone game releases or brand new installments in long standing series.
Posted:
Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:31 am
quote : #6
Edit: I can't read. GameWorks was already mentions above, so I'll just agree on the oddity of a lack of compilations and agree with what's been suggested to explain their abscence.

Christuserloeser
rank 9
Posted:
Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:12 am
quote : #7
lordnikon wrote:
Also, here is another crucial viewpoint to bring up. Back during the Dreamcast era it was more about innovation and creativity. I think had the Dreamcast lasted another year or two you wouldn't see a strict Sega Ages series lineup per-say, but rather a full revival of these franchises. New installments [...] would have found their way to the Dreamcast.

That's exactly what I think would have happened.

Still, without a doubt there would have been classic compilations under the Sega Ages banner. Some would have been arcade collections much like Suzuki's GameWorks and others would have been console collections covering Mega Drive and Master System games much like Sega Smash Pack and its successors, or the early Saturn Sega Ages releases.

Since Dreamcast's Super Hitachi CPU is fully compatible to those in the Sega Saturn we would have seen many many Saturn ports too.