1, 2  Next
lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Sat Dec 06, 2008 1:32 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
There is a 29 page article about the Dreamcast in UK magazine "GamesTM". So far 4 scans were made covering the homebrew scene...

http://img511.imageshack.us/img511/4883/gamestmhb1sno6.jpg
http://img512.imageshack.us/img512/7468/gamestmhb2sbv8.jpg
http://img139.imageshack.us/img139/933/gamestmhb3swz2.jpg
http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/2804/gamestmhb4svm6.jpg

...but people have not posted the complete 29 pages.

Is there a way to purchase a PDF version of the magazine? Does Fry's Electronics Stores carry this mag in the USA?

I am not trying to take money from the game magazine, I will eventually purchase a hardcopy for myself. I just want to read the entire article. Someone in the DC community, step up and scan the entire DC feature! Wink
Posted:
Sat Dec 06, 2008 4:59 am
quote : #2
ah yeea i love Games™ magazine and the retro section is my favourite. i know exactly where to purchase a copy (B.Dalton bookstore at my local mall). it's a $10 magazine and for the most part it's worth every penny. unfortunately, i don't have a scanner so i can't help with that part, but now that i know DC has pages in the retro section(29 pages!!), i'm gonna buy it as soon as i can. thanks for looking out. it should be a very interesting read. as for purchasing it in PDF format, i would email them and ask. on their site they offer a cd packed with old issues archived in PDF.

michel
rank 2
Posted:
Sat Dec 06, 2008 7:53 am
quote : #3
are you talking about issue 77?

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:08 am
quote : #4
Yes I am talking about Issue 77. In the lower left hand corner of the magazine's cover it makes a mention of the Dreamcast feature. The magazines overall front cover theme is blue.
Posted:
Sat Dec 06, 2008 2:04 pm
quote : #5
Type: PAL
Hey guys I live in the UK, so I'll try and get a copy of this.
What better time than now

All hell can't stop us now
lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:21 pm
quote : #6
Awesome lozz, if you get a chance, scan the articles Wink Even some photos would do. I plan to eventually track down the mag myself for collectors purposes, but am dying to see what the true extent of the article is, and also to see if they mention anything about Dreamcast Online as well. If anyone here has the mag, do they even acknowledge Dreamcast Online other than the usual "The DC actually shipped with a 56k mo...."

(Although thats a UK mag so maybe they would say 33k)
Posted:
Sun Dec 07, 2008 5:56 pm
quote : #7
Type: Pal
What month issue is this? Guess it will go out of the stores if its a monthly mag and then be fairly hard to find. I have a scanner also so if Lozz has not picked this up I would be happy to but for a store purchase if its a monthly mag then time is important.

Laters
Posted:
Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:37 am
quote : #8
as far as I know it's issue #77, in the stores now, with next issue due 24th of decemeber

lozz
rank 41
Posted:
Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:42 am
quote : #9
Ok guys I'll nip into the WHSmith in town tomorrow and hopefully pick this up.

Einhander
rank 20
Posted:
Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:52 am
quote : #10
lozz wrote:
Ok guys I'll nip into the WHSmith in town tomorrow and hopefully pick this up.

You, sir, are a gentleman and a scholar.

I look forward to seeing this. It's my understanding that GamesTM is generally a pretty decent magazine, so hopefully we won't get the usual schlock that seems to accompany gaming print journalism. The stuff I see usually boils down to "Hey, we never actually, you know, play Dreamcast games (the graphics are so ugly lol), but we're gonna mention it in our magazine just so we can get some hardcore gamer cred from other people who don't actually play Dreamcast games either."

I mean, 29 pages? Jesus. There should be tons of info.

lozz
rank 41
Posted:
Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:16 pm
quote : #11
Well I've picked it up. It is a very well written piece, the guy who writes the introduction seems on form. The bulk of the pages are made up of a timeline and othere trvia such as games which never saw release etc. The kind of stuff that we already know and are not interested in. However what is really interesting is several interview with producers, they have a lengthy section called "behind the scenes" for Lack Of Love. Also the section called "dream it yourself" is an interesting section as its informing readers of the homebrew scene and newer polished released such as the fantastic W&W.

Overall its a mixed bag, you get the innevitable "top 10 DC games" section and other drivvel, alongside some interesting and informative sections. Personally I would have liked to see an interview with Yuan works or Goat Store which I'm sure they would have been willing to give.

Anyway, I'm rather busy ATM, however I will get these pages scanned and uploaded in a zip by sunday at the latest.
lozz.

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:02 pm
quote : #12
I should point out there is going to be some BS in this 29 page article. I simply don't want to get into it, as I don't have the mental capacity to bitch and complain about it. All I will say is, whatever we discuss here in this thread, remember to keep it about the Dreamcast console and its games. Any offtopic material referenced in the Dreamcast article should stay out of the discussion.

Thanks a ton lozz for snatching this up. I look forward to finally checking out the scans. I am sure this is not a mind blowing journalistic insight into the DC. It will probobly have many of the broad stereotypical generalizations that game writers tend to propogate. I think the Homebrew segment is probobly the highlight of the entire feature, but this is still something I want to atleast read over myself to see what it all covers.

Does anyone know if this is sold in a bookstore/electronic store in the USA? I'd like to pickup a hardcopy of this. Maybe I will try and order one from the GamesTM website.
Posted:
Sun Dec 14, 2008 2:35 pm
quote : #13
Arg. Im sorry this is short notice. I said I would get these scans up by today, but the computer which my scanner/printer is installed on has gone up it. We took it to be fixed and I swore it was the graphics card, the bloke said it was the motherboard and power unit. He changed them and it still doesn't work now he's saying its the graphics card and I've keyed his car. Well scratch the last bit.

To make a long story short I should have the PC back my monday and get the scans done then. If its not done by monday I'll have to see if I can use a friends scanner. Sorry to dissapoint but the scans will be up very shorty.
lozz.

GrooveyDisco
rank 6
Posted:
Sun Dec 14, 2008 3:16 pm
quote : #14
Is this magazine still available and if so is it worth getting for the read?

Posted Mon Dec 29, 2008 4:18 pm:

I've yet to get "GamesTM" issue 77 but i bought issue 78 today and it has an article in the retro section about Sonic adventure (DC) and the franchise in general. Some good pictures of Sonic on the DC and background info/behind the scenes.

lozz
rank 41
Posted:
Thu Jan 01, 2009 4:42 pm
quote : #15
Here we go I finally got this all scanned Mr. Green

http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=cedf4fbffec03070d2db6fb9a8902bda