profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
Update: 7/19/08
Extraneous information removed.
Added: Dark Reign.

Update: 9/22/06
Added: Lobby info

Update: 10/24/05.
Rewrote: EMP tactics, Mines with teams turned on.
Added: Turrets.

Other useful sources of information:
Item Pickups
Ship Data
Ship-Specific Strategies

If you are new to playing Starlancer online, please take a couple minutes to read this post. It will save you a lot of trouble in the future.

This is a place to post things we have noticed in the game to help new gamers and spead important info around. Most of this guide is dedicated to exposing and fixing Starlancer's: glitches, shortcomings, and other player-created problems. Please reply with any new info, and I will add it to the list.

SETTING UP A GAME

When you first connect to gamespy and are brought to the lobby, wait 3-5 seconds for any games to load. If you start your own game instantly, you could miss any rooms that already have people in them.

The person who creates the game is the host and will have control over the game options such as turning on/off: targeting, turrets, and teams.

If the host of the game leaves, he cannot get back even if he restarts the dreamcast.
Other players can leave the game and come back, as long as the original host is still there.
If the host leaves, anybody else who leaves cannot get back to the same game.

In the lobby chat, you get 16 characters including spaces.

Most of the time a game will seem to malfunction after 45-60 minutes of play in the same game. Some indications the game is malfunctioning are: When you try to chat, the letters are not there, but it looks like you entered something, and powerups stop working. In Nuclear Threat, the beacons will begin moving in a repeating loop.

To remedy a malfunctioning game, follow these easy steps. First, have someone who is not the host of the current game leave that game by pressing "Start" and choosing "Exit." This person will be returned to the game lobby. Exit that game by pressing "B" on the controller and you will be taken to the list of online games. You should be able to see the game you just left. Simply start a new game and name it something different than the first game (to avoid confusion). Instruct the other players in the game to wait 30 seconds (after that first person left to start a new game) to leave and join the new game. The last person to leave the original game should be the host. If you follow these simple steps (that can be done in less than a minute), hopefully nobody will get lost.

Turrets. Turrets, in my experience, can cause more harm than good. The biggest problem is that they are a direct cause of lag. Even a historically stable connection can lag with turrets turned on. The severity of the lag increases with the amount of players. If there are 2-4 players, the lag wont be so bad, but with 5-6 players, it can be nearly impossible to play at times (especially when all the players are clustered in the same area). If you really want to play with turrets, use some judgement about the quality of each player's connection and how many people will be playing.

GAMEPLAY TIPS

If your ship has onboard EMP, it is not as easy as just leaving the thing on as soon as you hear a missile coming (in the single player campaign, as soon as you flip on EMP, the missile loses the lock). You need to time the best moment to turn it on. The best time seems to be when it's closing in, flip it on, and do a hard-fast maneuver. Hopefully the missile will lose it's lock.

Once you fire a missile, you must keep the target lock or the missile explodes before hitting the target.

When you have mines, you can deploy multiple mines by quickly and repeatedly hitting the deploy button. This does not work for the host.

Missiles can be fired without a target lock. They will only go straight.

Powerups have an approximate 15-20 second "rotation" and all powerups are on the same rotation. It explains why everybody seems to get missiles or cloaks at the same time.

When you have the invincibility powerup, you can fly through mines undamaged. Same goes for missiles.
I have never tried invincibility as somebody sets off a nuke or let the Dark Reign fire, although I expect it wouldn't help. If you get the chance to try out either of those, please do it and report the results.

Nuke Threat
You must fly through the center ring without being destroyed for the nuke to be activated.

The beacons and the rings can be targetted under the "Friendlies" target list.

Tag Bomb
It takes more than one direct hit to pass the bomb. There is no exact number, and it may change depending on your ship and the speed of your connection.

If you have a bad connection or you are lagging, it is difficult if not impossible to pass the bomb. You may shoot a player 45 times before it passes and you may even blow them up without passing it.

Dark Reign
The communications device can be targetted under the friendlies list.

There are two ways to escape fire from the Dark Reign. 1. Fly as fast and as far away from it. 2. Fly towards it and dance around it until it loses lock.
Bonus: 3. Get a cloak powerup (highly unlikely)
Better Bonus: Kill the person with the communications device and take it.

Teams
When teams are turned on, there is absolutely no way to hurt one of your teammates. You can shoot them and ram them all you want. Neither of you will take damage.

You can shoot a missile at your teammate and it wont even scratch them.

If anyone on your team deploys mines, you can fly though them without taking damage (even if you put down those mines yourself)

The following needs to be confirmed with a second test:
MINES ARE USELESS WITH TEAMS TURNED ON. Both teammates and opponents can fly though any mine without taking damage. Again, this needs more testing, and will replace the line above it if trure.

Last edited by Mertens on Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:00 am; edited 29 times in total

darkooga
rank 19
Posted:
Mon Jan 12, 2004 8:29 pm
quote : #2
i need to get starlanzer
Posted:
Mon Jan 12, 2004 9:14 pm
quote : #3
the 16 letter chat pisses me off, like if i had to write this post it would be like:
the 16 letter ~enter~ pisses me off ~enter~ then u have to squinch to see it
Posted:
Mon Jan 12, 2004 11:00 pm
quote : #4
frokid879 wrote:
the 16 letter chat pisses me off, like if i had to write this post it would be like:
the 16 letter ~enter~ pisses me off ~enter~ then u have to squinch to see it

HAHHHAHAA yea usually I am like "GUYS GUYS lets just start the game already so we can actually talk!!!" Thank god ingame chat is much better or I would go crazy hehe.
Posted:
Mon Jan 19, 2004 9:04 pm
quote : #5
I added a few more things. Appearantly editing a post does not bump it up.
rank 15
Posted:
Mon Jan 19, 2004 10:00 pm
quote : #6
Mertens wrote:
You must fly completely through the ring and wait approximately 1 second without being destroyed for the nuke to be activated.

Well..this actually depends on the speed of your LINE. As soon as I fly through the rings, it will set off.

Mertens wrote:
Powerups appear to have a 25% chance of giving something, 75% of the time you get nothing.

Is this just a random statistic? Or have you actually calculated it? Just curious.

Smile

Mertens
rank 14
Posted:
Sun Feb 15, 2004 4:44 pm
quote : #7
Just my own observations. Sometimes I would fly through a pack of three powerups and get nothing, but when I turned around and went back, I got one. I know it is a low number a lot less than 50% or 33%.

Quote:
Well..this actually depends on the speed of your LINE. As soon as I fly through the rings, it will set off.

That's interesting. I once destroyed someone as they were coming out of the rings. I know they were leaving because when I flew to get the powerups, I set off the Nuke a fraction of a second later. If I had destroyed them before they got through the rings, I would have had to turn around or hit my reverse thrusters. Maybe this was a fluke.

Also, when I fly through the rings, I can switch to my rear camera and watch the Nuke explode after I have cleared the rings.

It's probably just me if it doesn't happen for anyone else.

I added a few more things to the bottom of the list before Nuke Strike
rank 7
Posted:
Sun Feb 15, 2004 6:39 pm
quote : #8
Type: NTSC-U
Another good way to watch the nuke is to target the rings with hold x then press y (target friendly) and when the rings are targeted, switch to the target cam. those nuke explosions are great. also, this works great for hunt the shadow, just target the base in the middle of the arena, and use the target cam, and it will pan around the base giving you a great view of the whole area.

MasterChief
rank 25
Posted:
Sun Feb 15, 2004 11:35 pm
quote : #9
Zeiram_Wing wrote:
Another good way to watch the nuke is to target the rings with hold x then press y (target friendly) and when the rings are targeted, switch to the target cam. those nuke explosions are great. also, this works great for hunt the shadow, just target the base in the middle of the arena, and use the target cam, and it will pan around the base giving you a great view of the whole area.

good to know.

Now Playing: PS3 - Brutal Legend, 360 - Red Dead Redemption, Wii - MadWorld, DC - Dux
Mastershake
rank 5
Posted:
Mon Feb 16, 2004 12:42 am
quote : #10
damn i need to get this game

^_^
TheMytho
rank 28
Posted:
Mon Feb 16, 2004 9:30 am
quote : #11
I need to work on my Starlancer DC guide again. The first one got wiped out after my PC crashed.

-Mytho

DreamcastMagic
banned!
Posted:
Mon Feb 16, 2004 4:45 pm
quote : #12
I want this game but never can find it ... I hate late release online DC games (which are like the only ones left) they were made in limited numbers and are so hard to find ... not only that but I have a new game online rule so that really cuts my hopes of getting these games

Mertens
rank 14
Posted:
Fri Aug 20, 2004 3:59 pm
quote : #13
I've updated this again, with the most recent updates on July 22nd, 2005. Please post anything else you feel should be on the list.

Last edited by Mertens on Fri Jul 22, 2005 8:38 pm; edited 1 time in total

maddmaxx
rank 11
Posted:
Tue Jun 07, 2005 2:19 am
quote : #14
i hope this helps Mertens

Posted Tue Jun 07, 2005 9:17 pm:

well i didnt seem to have any problems yet but ive only played once online so i could still run into the problem

Posted Wed Jun 08, 2005 5:20 am:

well i hope i can learn what to do just incase if anything like this ever happens to me

Mertens
rank 14
Posted:
Mon Aug 15, 2005 3:32 pm
quote : #15
Most recent updates are in yellow.

I've highlighted the most important parts about hosting in red.