Page Location: Home > Quake III Arena > Topic
jrox
rank 1
Posted:
Sat Nov 20, 2010 5:03 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
hello all!

i'm so glad i found this site! apparently there are still quite a few folks out there who play quake on dc! Smile i'm a long time quaker myself, been playing since the original release, all the way back in '99!

there was a time when i was stuck without a computer, and had to play quake on my trusty old dreamcast.. i made a lot of friends back then, the dc community was always a pretty tight-knit crowd. the good ol' days..!

anyway, after realizing that pc users had the ability to connect to dc servers, i was really excited, and saved up a few hundred dollars to build my own pc.. its sole purpose was running dc servers. i kept it online 24/7. this was back in '02 and '03..

back then, i used to use a program called gamespy 3d to allow me to browse the master server list. recently, i got the urge to start playing again, and i went thru all the steps of setting up my server. i still have all my old cfg files and mods that i used to run.

now, after considerable hunting, i found and reinstalled gamespy 3d. i went thru the process of adding the master server list into it, but unfortunately i cannot seem to be able to retrieve the list of servers. when i try and update it, it returns nothing.. i'm sure i have the correct address. i think its an issue with gamespy itself, as it doesn't seem to have been updated with any new releases in the past 7 or 8 years..

so my question is.. how do you pc players find the list of dc servers running nowadays? i know i would be able to connect directly with a specific ip(s), but i would much rather have a list of all available servers running. is there an alternative program i can use which is actually functional?

thanks for your time, everyone! as soon as i'm able to figure this out, i will definitely be hosting several servers for dc players to join!

cheers!

TeamXlink
rank 8
Posted:
Sat Nov 20, 2010 12:31 pm
quote : #2
Type: NTSC-U/C
Welcome!

I think the development on the GameSpy tool has stopped.

I too run a server and I'm interested in these mods you speak of.

jrox
rank 1
Posted:
Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:44 pm
quote : #3
'ello! thanks for the welcome!

i agree, the development of gamespy seems to have been put to rest long ago, i noticed the version i was able to find was the same exact one i used about 7 years ago. i hoped that it would still function for server browsing, but evidently not, sad to say.. Neutral

if i may ask, what tool do you use to browse servers with? this is the only problem i'm having. i put up a temporary server last night for testing purposes, all works well, i just need to find a tool that will allow me to see the dc servers list. any suggestions?

about the mods, you may or may not be familiar with them already. one is called "zappy's mod", the premise is as follows- there are two game types available, one is "rockets frag, railgun teleports." in this mode, you spawn with a rocket launcher, and have a railgun as secondary weaponry. the rockets also have a special ability- they home-in and follow their target, sometimes even around corners! there is no typical 'splash damage' from the rockets like you would expect, instead you must be very accurate with your shots, much like the railgun. once you have a target locked, the only way for your opponent to escape certain death is for them to make very quick dodge movements, to lose the lock-on. your opponent can also fire a counter-rocket, which will lock onto the one you fired, exploding both rockets on contact. if you decide to use the railgun, any direct hit with it to an opponent will instantly teleport them to another random area of the map. this is game type #1. game type #2 is the exact opposite, railgun frags instantly (much like instagib), and the homing rockets will teleport your opponent elsewhere.

my favorite part of this mod- "magnetic" grenades! if you are skilled enough to get 2 or more frags withing 2 seconds, (earning an 'excellent') you are rewarded with 5 special grenades that instantly draw themselves to the nearest opponent. these are almost impossible to evade, and make fragging a breeze. for each additional 'excellent' you achieve, you are awarded 5 more grenades. usually the first person to possess the grenades takes a huge lead, making it quite challenging to catch up. you have grenades until you either run out of ammo, or are fragged by an opponent, then it's back to rockets again. this mod is an absolute blast! probably my personal favorite..

second mod on my favorites list is called 'shottie'. basically, you spawn with a super-powered shotgun (the only weapon available) which fires a rocket, a triple beamed railgun projectile, and also a single plasma round. this gun is super-deadly, making it very easy to stack up frags. it has massive amounts of splash damage, usually there is no surviving being hit with it, but once in a while you get lucky..

both of these mods are very addicting.. so much in fact, that once i started playing them, i never went back to the standard game type again! same thing with everyone i used to play with.. it was either 'shottie' or 'instarox', (another name for zappy's mod), all the time.. of course, they are 100% server-side, which allows for dc players to enjoy the fun as well.

i would be very much willing to share the mod files in exchange for some info or download link to a functional server browser.. i just want a program i can use to see all the dc servers running which i can connect to. help anyone..?! Rolling Eyes

thank you so much for your time, everyone! cheers! Smile

TeamXlink
rank 8
Posted:
Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:51 pm
quote : #4
Type: NTSC-U/C
gslist might work.

Also, the Dreamcast Servers show up in the normal master-list, so if you can find a tool that lets you view the normal master-list you can use that, but most servers (if not all) use the keyword "dreamcast", if your server browser allows you to enter a keyword enter Dreamcast and that should narrow it down a bit.

jrox
rank 1
Posted:
Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:55 pm
quote : #5
good timing!

i think i read your reply about 1 minute after you posted it.. Smile

i will try gslist as you mentioned. i tried to browse dc servers inside quake 3 itself, but no luck..

i'll keep trying.. if anyone else has any suggestions, please feel free to recommend something!

-cheers!