Page Location: Home > Dreamcast Lounge > Topic
lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:45 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
A long while back I toyed with the concept of doing community hi-score rankings. However it didn't really go in the direction that I wanted it to go in the first time around (or rather I didn't take it to where it needed to go). I am bringing back this concept in a big way.

I will be making community hi-score charts for any game as long as it encourages competition, has a decent hi-score mechanism, and there is enough community interest. I am willing to make as many rankings pages as we want, as long as there is interest. At first we will have manual user submissions, but maybe one day we code up a VMU processing script to parse game saves for greater legitimacy. Either way, its supposed to be fun, so no worries. We will evolve it as needed.

The most obvious games for this would be shmups. So I have proviced a list below to get the ball rolling. The first game we pick should depend a bit on how many people here actually own the game. If I am the only one here with Border Down it wouldn't make much sense to put up a hi-scores page for it Wink If you know of other games that would be good for hi-score based competition, feel free to reply with recommendations! Cool

HI-SCORE GAME OPTIONS

SHMUPS
---------------------------------------
Bakuretumuteki Bangaioh
Border Down
Chaos Field
Giga Wing
Gigawing 2
Gunbird 2
Ikaruga
Karous
Mars Matrix : Hyper Solid Shooting
Psyvariar 2 : The Will To Fabricate
Radirgy
Shikigami No Shiro II
Trigger Heart Exelica
Trizeal
Twinkle Star Sprites
Under Defeat
Zero Gunner 2

DUX (indie game)
Last Hope Pink Bullets (indie game)
Fast Striker (indie game)

RACING GAMES
Daytona USA
F355 Challenge

GAME PROGRESSION
Armada
Record of Lodoss War

Last edited by lordnikon on Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Posted:
Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:04 pm
quote : #2
I'd like to see racing games added to the list of potential hi-score candidates. Maybe present a list of DC racing games, and have everyone vote on their favorite.

I'd also suggest rail shooters such as Rez and Virtua Cop 2. We could even separate traditional rail shooters from light-gun games and vote on one from each category.

Kbuzz
rank 23
Posted:
Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:35 am
quote : #3
so we'd focus on one game per season or something? Could be fun if we're all in frequent contact with each other about it.
rank 87
Posted:
Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:01 am
quote : #4
TheMytho wrote:
I'd also suggest rail shooters such as Rez and Virtua Cop 2. We could even separate traditional rail shooters from light-gun games and vote on one from each category.

Rez and Rainbow Cotton are the only rail shooters on the DC. Also I think the variation in highscores on Rez isn't dramatic enough to allow a highscore chart. People usually score 90+ percent on stages. Everyone's scores would be relatively the same for it.

Lightgun games would be a great idea Wink

Kbuzz wrote:
so we'd focus on one game per season or something?

We can focus on as many games as we want. We can start off slow and add more over time. It all depends on how many people have certain games so we can populate them with ranking info. If people here are like "whoo!!! yes!! lets add this game!!!", then I will setup a rankings page for it.

It won't be setup like a league or anything. It will be more free flowing. Though I have been toying with a lot of ideas lately. Maybe for hi-score based games they are just persistant rankings. However for racing games, those start to level out a LOT faster. They plateau, and its almost impossible to raise up in the rankings. So maybe for racing games, we could start with persistant rankings but then down the road switch to time-trail competitions where times would have to be submitted in a certain time period.

The other idea I had was for RPG. A "status" ranking. For a game like Record of Lodoss War, we would post char level, stage/progress status, etc. This could be really dumb or really interesting.
Posted:
Sat Sep 24, 2011 2:51 am
quote : #5
Type: PAL
Racing games would be great. F355 or Daytona would get my vote! Smile
rank 27
Posted:
Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:11 am
quote : #6
I second the notion for light gun games, I recently got my hands on the Sega Smash Pack, and really dig Virtua Cop 2.

TheMytho
rank 28
Posted:
Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:42 pm
quote : #7
lordnikon wrote:
The other idea I had was for RPG. A "status" ranking. For a game like Record of Lodoss War, we would post char level, stage/progress status, etc. This could be really dumb or really interesting.

What about a diary of what you've accomplished in the game to go along with stats? Maybe describe a difficult situation you got out of, a great item you found, something humorous, anything you found notable when you played. This could not only be fun to share with other players, but create interest in the game with those who don't own the game yet.

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:53 am
quote : #8
That is a really good idea. I think that would be in the form of a thread though. However, we could set it up so that we all start playing a game together on a set day, and have ramp up leading up to it. Also, I am not sure about single player games that have plots. It could reveal spoilers.

I guess Record of Lodoss War would be a really good game to do for such a thing. Because its less story and more action and dungeon crawling.

We could say like "starting such and such month it will be community Record of Lodoss War month. And we can all start off at the beginning.

Armada would be another really good game for this. It would be quite fun to be able to play and share the experience with others as we are playing.

At the root of such threads we could have a current status chart. Not so much a rankings chart, but something that shows status/progress.